Sunday, February 8, 2009

Black Holes

I'm writing about black holes, because they are one of Lynn's (imagitext) favorite things and she posted about them and felt the need to do so as well. Lynn was right about a few things matter resides in the ripples in space and time caused by black holes. These ripples where not made by the black holes we know today, because they came from stars (matter), but the big bang theory. The big bang theory that all the energy in the universe was in one point about the size of an atom and black holes where popping up and disappearing. She was also right that as far as we know eventually everything will be sucked up into black holes. She was not right about them being invisible though, black holes are pitch black and you can clearly see the absence of them (black) standing out from stars around them and since black is a color they are not invisible! But I can easily see why you'd call them invisible and do not wish to argue with anyone about it. You can also tell where black holes are, because of the energy streams shooting out of them. Black holes are usually formed when a star collapses on itself into to a space of infant density, this is according to Einstein's theory of relativity, but it is an incomplete theory. In simple black holes are collapsed stars that have an escape velocity faster then the speed of light. If you where to be sucked into a black hole you would die before you reach it, because of spaghettification. Spaghettification is where you get ripped apart atom by atom, because the gravity at your feet is stronger then at your head. Not much else is known about black holes, because we can not see past their event horizon's, because it is pitch black.

6 comments:

  1. If I get sucked into a black hole I'll try to do so laying parallel to the event horizon to minimize the spaghettifying tidal forces. Still, I'm not sure I'd like the sauce that would come with that spaghetti.
    So not translucent, but not visible by themselves either. All rotating, some that are miniature- what a wild and crazy universe.
    With more questions generated with most answers, I can't conceive what would have started the whole thing in the first place other than a trans-dimentional all-knowing and all powerful God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I said "Rips." And, even though you don't want to fight about it, black holes are not a color at all because light gets sucked in. They don't stand out because, if you haven't noted, outer space has noting for light to reflect off of. Black holes don't give off energy streams all the time but you can tell where one is if it has spewed out it's dinner recently, blowing away some of the gases of it's galaxy (called a Death Ray.) Also by the 'shooting stars' shooting away and going to a certain invisible spot.

    As 37 Ways To Win An Argument says, I'll leave you with prof of my rightness:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/blackhole/program.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see how anyone can know what will happen with black holes. I appreciate Dreamcatcher's mature desire to not argue with anyone about it. It would be pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came across this on CNN today. The second photo in the montage is a pretty shot of a black hole, or at least the effects of a black hole: http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/02/10/space.spotlight/index.html

    They sure capture the imagination, and stretch your thinking of what can happen. It's hard to imagine infinite density. I wouldn't think that mass can be infinite, but volume goes to zero, which drives the ratio way up. Add to that the general relativity changes in time, length, and mass with velocity and it's really other worldly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you make up the spaghettification part? If so, good job.

    ReplyDelete