Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Book of Mormon Challenge

Last Sunday was the start of a challenge my stake is doing for all the youth to read the Book of Mormon. At the kick off fireside I was asked to give a talk. This is what I said: Hello! It is my privilege to speak to you today on the Book of Mormon and the challenge the stake is extending to all the youth. Leaders, just so you know you are also welcome to participate in the challenge.In 3 Nephi 12:41 it says "And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain." This scripture has literal meaning for me,because of my dad. Yesterday I was at a school activity for nearly the entire day, Brother Thueson was there too. Afterwards I was exhausted and just wanted to go to sleep, but my dad was excited to show me a new trail he had found. I didn't really want to go. I was tired and had a lot of homework to do and still needed to write this talk. But this scripture came to my mind and I agreed to go. We ran to Old Military and then went off on a side road up into the hills which led to the new trail. The new trail didn't always exist, so we would bush whack for parts of the way and even got lost a couple times. Eventually, after a particularly long and gruesome up hill, we reached the top of what my dad called "Lull Hill". From it we could see the entire valley below us. I think of the song "How Great Thou Art". In describing that experience. "When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee, How great thou art! How great thou art!" Looking back, I could see that, though it was hard and at times painful, I had enjoyed the journey. Standing in that moment, I felt great peace and Happiness, and knew that it would not be the last time I was up there, that I would make the journey again. Now I am not saying that you guys need to go out and go to the top of that hill or that you even have to run. But that like how my dad asked me to go running with him, the stake is now asking you to read the Book of Mormon. You will at times feel too tired or like that you don't have enough time, because of school and other activities, but like how I was with running, reading the Book of Mormon will strengthen you and help you face the challenges of the world by bringing you peace and happiness. At times you might feel it is hard or boring as you struggle through passages like Isaiah or the war chapters. Don't give up! Pray for the Spirit to be with you. Like how I was able to look back and see that I had enjoyed the run, you too will be able to find happiness. Just don't wait until it's over like I did. For some of you this will be your first time reading the Book of Mormon. Other have read it many times before. Like my desire to go to the top of Lull Hill again, you can gain the desire to read the Book of Mormon again and again, if you listen to the Spirit and apply it to your life. Over the past few months I have reread the Book of Mormon, and I testify that it can and will bring peace and happiness to your life, and that it is true. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Marvelous analogy! It's amazing how a scripture can pop into our minds to influence our actions. One more reason to read the Book of Mormon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for running with me and for being you.

    ReplyDelete